Find all articles here together and search our archives, whether it be Parish News, Events or anything else.
Tuesday, May 31, 2022/Categories: History
Facilities for the school lunch program, as well as space for meetings and entertainments were not available. In order to meet these needs, members of the parish promoted the construction of an auditorium. To obtain the necessary finances, pledges in the amount of $28,000 were given. Added to this was $28,000 which had been saved over the years.
After obtaining the necessary authorization, Father Leander Scheier, O. S. B., working together with the church committee, engaged Mr. Robinson of Kansas City, Mo., as the architect.
The general contract was awarded to the firm of Busboom and Rauh, Salina, Kansas for $85,685 After all expenses had been paid, the total cost amounted to approximately $90,000.
With the building of the new hall in 1953, there was made a place for limited athletics in basketball. A coach, Mr. Russel DeVillier, was hired that year (1953-54), a representative team was set up and ever since the team won a goodly share of its games. The following year, owing to a shortage of Sisters, a young lady, Miss Joan Bergman, was engaged to teach the third and fourth grades. In 1958-59 a second coach was engaged so that some of the physical education could be handled in the grade school. The three lay teachers were continued in the school.
In March 1956, the final payment on the debt was made.
Number of views (3153)/Comments (0)