Find all articles here together and search our archives, whether it be Parish News, Events or anything else.
Saturday, June 11, 2022/Categories: History
There was wind damage to the church on several occasions. In 1948 four valleys and some rotten timbers in the roof were replaced and the church was re-pointed where needed. On June 1, 1949, a tornado came roaring through the valley. The church, however, escaped damage. On October 14, 1953, a stainless steel cross six feet tall with six-inch square beams replaced the wooden cross which had been constructed with about an eight-inch hole at the cross-section. Donald Stallbaumer of Seneca, Kansas was the steeplejack on the project.
In 1960 the church was shingled with lifetime aluminum shingles; the built-in gutters were replaced by hanging gutters. This work was completed under the direction of parishioner Adrian "Ted" Stallbaumer. Also in 1960, new window ventilators were installed on the south side, changed from center to sill pivot. Art glass was added to the swinging doors of the vestibule. Vinyl floor tile over plywood was installed in 1962. New padded kneelers were also installed in 1962. In 1973 the basement chapel was made into classrooms and bathrooms. In 1973 the entire church was repointed.
In 1975, the parish well was capped when a rural water district organized in the area became available as the result of leadership largely by members of the St. Benedict community. In 1978 the parishioners insulated the attic with fiberglass insulation.
Number of views (241)/Comments (0)