Saturday, December 17, 2022/Categories: History
In September 1903 the fourteen Stations of the Way of the Cross were purchased and installed in St. Mary’s Church at the cost of $2,200. In 1904 eleven magnificent statues were brought from Munich. They are not merely relief work but three-fourths, life-size, wall-hung sculptures consisting of 55 figures, plus 28 angels in relief below the Stations. In addition to the Stations, there are 37 free-standing statues in the church, plus two figures, Jesus and Mary in the Pieta, and two figures --John the Baptist and Jesus on the baptismal font and a small sculpture of the Good Shepherd on the confessional. The church has 79 angels ranging in size from three in winged heads to life-sized, in various media: carved, cast, painted and glazed. This is not an inventory of an art gallery but an expression of the faith of the people. A diagram of the statutes was created by Joe Oswalt in 1983 at the time of the completion of the restoration of the interior. The graphic is included on the back of the informational brochure which is available at the registration stand at the church's entry.
Number of views (2107)/Comments (0)